For active projects and detours visit:
Building Permits
Q: What kinds of work requires building or zoning permits for residential projects?

A: Any project that changes or modifies existing structural, mechanical, electrical, or plumbing components of an existing structure, or any project that adds any new structure, mechanic, electric, or plumbing components requires a permit. No permits are required for cosmetic changes such as in-kind replacement of cabinets, countertops, flooring, or paint. Examples of projects that require permits include:

  • Kitchen renovations
  • Finished basements
  • Home additions
  • Decks
  • Covered porches, decks, or awnings
  • Patios and walkways
  • Sheds
  • Detached garages
  • Driveway modifications
  • Fences
  • Generators
  • Above-ground and in-ground pools
  • Roofing and siding (when adding or replacing stucco; no permits for siding replacement unless structural repairs are involved)
  • Modifications to site drainage (e.g. relocation of underground downspout drains, installation of infiltration trenches)
  • Solar panels
  • Electric panel upgrades
  • Electric car charging stations

This is not an exhaustive list of activities requiring permits. Please contact the Township office to verify if you need a permit for your home project.

Q: How long is the permit valid?

A: A permit is not valid until the required fees are collected. No fees are due upon submission of an application. Fees are calculated during the review process and are due upon issuance of the permit. Township staff will notify the applicant of the required fees when the permit is available for pickup.

A permit becomes invalid unless the authorized construction work begins within 180 days after the permit’s issuance or if the authorized construction work permit is suspended or abandoned for 180 days after the work has commenced. A permit holder may submit a written request for an extension of time to commence construction for just cause. The building code official may grant extensions of time to commence construction in writing. A permit may be valid for no more than 5 years from its issue date.

Work shall be installed in accordance with the approved construction documents. The permit holder shall submit a revised set of construction documents for approval for changes made during construction that are not in accordance with the approved construction documents. The Township reserves the right to revoke a permit if the work is not in compliance with the approved scope of work or other violations are occurring on the property.


Q: What Contractor information should be included with permit applications?

A: All building and zoning permits must include:

  • Certificate of insurance. 
  • Copy of current PA Contractor’s License card.
  • Current Westtown Township Plumber’s License is required for plumbers.

Home Improvement Contractors who are registered with the state of Pennsylvania are not also required to register with the Township. The $35 registration fee only applies to contractors who are not registered in the state. Separate Township registration is required for plumbers.

Q: Are general contractors required to provide contractor information for all of their sub-contractors if applying for one permit for entire project?

A: Yes. Each sub-contractor must provide the same information as the general contractor.  Applications should include a list of all sub-contractors and contact information for each.

Q: How many copies of drawings, sketches, and other reference materials are needed for Plan Review?

A: Residential applications require two sets.

*In certain cases, engineered drawings may be required. Please check with the Permit Processor or Building Code Official before submitting permit applications.

Commercial applications require three sets of engineered drawings with every permit application unless the Building Code Official approves otherwise.

Q: Are Homeowners required to sign all permit applications?

A: As legal property owners, the homeowner is ultimately responsible for all costs associated with their property, including permits pulled by Representatives on their behalf.  The homeowner’s signature on the application acknowledges that they are aware of the permit application submittal.

In the event a property owner cannot sign the permit application, the Township may accept a signed contract or work proposal. Please contact the Township if there is an issue with obtaining the property owner’s signature.

Q: What if residential or commercial property is owned by a company rather than an individual?

A: An Authorization letter must be issued on company letterhead that contains representative’s printed name, company title, and primary contact number.  The Fee Responsibility Form must be filled out and signed by this Representative.

Q: What is the fee for a fence permit?

A: The fee for a fence permit is $50. 

The fee for a pool enclosure fence is $150 and also requires a building permit. A permit is required when replacing an existing pool enclosure fence or constructing a new pool enclosure fence.

Property owners are responsible for knowing where their property boundaries are, and fences may not enclose any area outside of the applicant’s property boundary.

A permit is not required to replace an existing fence in-kind provided the fence meets all applicable zoning setback requirements. Replacement of fences that change the area being fenced requires a new fence permit. 

Q: What are the setback requirements for a fence?

A: Fences must be located entirely within the property being fenced and should be at least 6 inches from the property line. In side and rear yards, fences can be up to 6 feet tall and may be made of any panel type.

In the front yard, fences may not exceed 5 feet tall and must have an open panel structure. Fences may not be located within the public right-of-way (ROW). Contact the Township office for more information about determining the ROW for your street.

Q: What are the permit requirements for a shed?

A: Permits are required for all detached accessory structures, including sheds, greenhouses, and garages. Sheds under 250 square feet must be set back at least five (5) feet from side and rear lot lines and may not exceed 12 feet in height. Sheds under 250 square feet require a zoning permit, which requires a $50 permit fee.

Sheds greater than 250 square feet and/or are above 12 feet must be set back from side and rear lot lines a distance equivalent to the height of the structure. These structures require a building permit and the permit fee is calculated based on the value of the shed installation/construction as outlined in the Residential Building Permit Fee Schedule.

Q: Do I need a permit for my above-ground pool?

A: Above-ground pools that have a water depth of less than 24 inches do NOT require a permit. This includes most inflatable and kiddie pools.

All other above-ground pools that have a water depth greater than 24 inches require a building permit approval and must meet all applicable zoning setbacks. This applies to both permanent and temporary pools. In-ground and above-ground pools may not be located closer than 25 feet from the water’s edge to a side or rear property line. All pool equipment must not be closer than 15 feet to a side or rear property line and must be screened from view from the roadway and adjoining properties. Pools must also be enclosed by fencing and gates that meet building code requirements. 

Q: Who performs building inspections?

A: All building inspections must be conducted by the Township’s building inspector. Inspection reports prepared by third-party companies are not acceptable and shall not be considered valid to close out a permit. All inspections must be scheduled directly with the Township’s building code inspector:

Andy Kirk

Property owners or their contractors/representatives are responsible for contacting the building inspector for all required inspections. A list of inspections is included in the approved permit. Projects must receive final inspection approval to be issued a Certificate of Occupancy.

Q: How do I apply for roof-mounted solar panels?

A: A completed building permit application form and responses to the zoning supplement must be provided with your application, in addition to all contractor information and installation drawings and diagrams.

For ground-mounted solar panels, please refer to the Westtown Township Zoning Ordinance §170-1618 and contact the Township Zoning Officer for additional information.

Q: Where can I find voting information?

A: Please call Chester County Voter Services at 610.344.6410 or visit

Q: Who do I contact before I dig on my property?

A: Call PA One Call (dial 8-1-1) at least three days before you dig on your property.  For more information visit

On Lot Sewage Management Program (SMP)
Q: Am I required to have my septic tank(s) pumped at the time of inspection?

A: You do not have to pump your tank at the time of the inspection, although it is highly recommended. When the tank is pumped, the Chester County Health Department licensed liquid waste hauler will be able to observe and record information required on the SMP Routine Inspection Report. You must have your septic tanks pumped at least once every three years, although you may need to have your system pumped more frequently for proper maintenance. 

Q: Will the Township make me replace my septic system?

A: Westtown Township will not require any resident to replace a septic system. If the Township is made aware of an issue that could adversely impact the health and safety of our community, a modified pumping scheduled may be required to address the related condition.

Q: How often must I have my septic system inspected?

A: Your septic system is required to be inspected at least once every 3 years. An inspection resulting from a real estate transaction cannot be accepted unless it is on a Westtown Township On-Lot Sewage Disposal System Inspection Report Form available here: SMP Routine Inspection Report

Q: How often do I have to pump my septic system?

A: All septic systems in Westtown Township must be pumped at least once every three years. If you pump more frequently, remember to forward a copy of your pumping receipt to the Township (email

Q: How can I determine if a certain company is certified to inspect my septic system?

A: To see the most current list of certified inspectors, please visit the Pennsylvania Septage Management Association (PSMA) website.

Q: Is public sewer coming to the Township?

A: Currently, there are no plans to extend public sewer infrastructure to any areas of the Township.

Q: Can I connect to the public sewer system?

A: Some properties that may be in close proximity to existing sewer infrastructure that utilizes gravity may be able to connect to the sewer public system.  Westtown Township does not permit any building sewer line to be connected to a force main sewer line.

Trash & Recycling
Q: When is bulk item collection day?

A: On the last pick up of each month, A.J. Blosenski will collect up to three bulk items per house. If your collection day is Monday, bulk pickup is the last Monday of the month; if your collection day is Thursday, bulk items will be collected on the last Thursday of the month.  Holiday collection make-ups include bulk items.  Mattresses are accepted on bulk item day, but must wrapped in plastic.  Construction debris, TV’s, safes, items containing Freon, and auto parts cannot be accepted for collection. You may also take bulk items to the Chester County Solid Waste Authority (Lanchester Landfill), 7225 Division Highway, Narvon, PA 17555, or contact a hauler to arrange for disposal.

Q: How do I dispose of medicines and prescription drugs?

A: There is a Medication Return Collection Box in the lobby of the Westtown-East Goshen (WEGO) Police Station, 1041 Wilmington Pike, West Chester.  Residents can safely dispose of unwanted or expired medication M-F from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.

Q: How do I contact the Township's trash and recycling hauler?

A: To ask questions, lodge a complaint, or to arrange a special pickup, you may contact the Township’s trash hauler (A. J. Blosenski) directly by calling 1-800-343-6583.  Please identify yourself as a resident of Westtown Township serviced under the Township’s municipal contract.

Q: May I dispose of yard waste in my regular trash?

A: No.  Yard waste put out with regular trash will not be collected by the hauler.  Yard waste is collected only on specified dates.  The 2023 Yard Waste collection dates are on Saturdays: January 7, February 11, March 11, April 8, May 13, June 10, July 15, August 12, September 16, October 14, November 4 & 18, December 2 & 16. Place yard waste curbside by 6:00 AM on collection day.  Leaves must be in biodegradable paper bags or containers that can be dumped. Plastic bags are not accepted. Branches (under 3″ in diameter) must be cut approximately 3 feet in length, bundled, and tied.  Rocks, logs, stumps, mulch, or ashes will not be taken.  Information on composting your Yard Waste is provided here: Basic Composting

Roads & Public Works
Q: Who do I contact if a street sign or traffic signal needs repair, or a hazardous condition exists on a township road?

A: Call the Township office at 610.692.1930 and provide detailed information as to type of problem and exact location.  These repairs are a priority.  Please note that the Township has no jurisdiction to repair or maintain state owned roads.  A list of state owned and maintained roads within the Township can be found on the Roads and Public Works page.

Q: What is the size of the road network in Westtown Township?

A: The Westtown Township road network consists of approximately 56 miles of asphalt roads, 95 cul-de-sacs, 12 traffic signals, 1020 stormwater inlets, and 1050 street signs.

Q: Who removes dead deer along roads and on private property?

A: The Pennsylvania Game Commission is responsible for deer removal.  Please call 610.926.1966.  For deer on a state road, call PennDOT at 484.340.3201.   It is illegal for the Township to remove deer.

Q: Who do I contact to report a problem on a State road?

A: You can report a pothole or other issue with a State road online using the PennDOT Customer Care Center, or call 484.340.3201.  

The Township cannot repair or maintain State roads.  A list of state owned and maintained roads within the Township can be found on the Roads and Public Works page.

Q: Sometimes I see markings or flags on the street or shoulder. What do these temporary colored markings signify?

A: These markings are used to indicate underground utilities. The standard color codes are provided below:

  • WHITE – Proposed Excavation
  • PINK – Temporary Survey Markings
  • RED – Electric power lines, cables, and conduit
  • YELLOW – Gas, oil, steam, petroleum or gaseous materials
  • ORANGE – Communication, alarm, or traffic signal Lines
  • BLUE – Potable Water
  • PURPLE – Reclaimed water, irrigation, and slurry lines
  • GREEN – Sewer and drain lines
Q: Who do I contact before I dig on my property?

A: Call PA One Call (dial 8-1-1) at least three days before you dig on your property.  For more information visit

Q: Where is the proper location for my mailbox?

A: The United States Postal Service guidelines should be used when installing your mailbox.  They can be found at this link: USPS mailbox guidelines.

Resale Use & Occupancy Certificate
Q: I am selling my property. Do I need a Use and Occupancy (U&O) inspection?

A: Yes. All properties that are transferred in Westtown Township are required to obtain a U&O before transfer.

Q: Is a U&O inspection a home inspection?

A: No. The purpose of an U&O inspection is to ensure that all homes in Westtown Township meet minimum safety standards upon transfer.

Q: What will be looked at during a U&O inspection?

A: A complete list of inspection criteria is available on the second page of the U&O application located here: Residential Resale U&O. If you have any questions on this list of items, please call the Township office for clarification at 610-692-1930.

Q: My house was built without all of the items that will be inspected during the U&O. Am I grandfathered in?

A: No.  All properties, regardless of their age must be brought up to current code prior to transferring.  The majority of items inspected during the U&O will not require major alterations.

Q: What if my property does not pass the U&O inspection?

A: The homeowner will be required to address the deficiencies and schedule a re-inspection with the Township.  A re-inspection fee is required.

Q: Will I need a building permit to address any items on the U&O inspection?

A: In most cases, no.  If you have questions about what may or may not require a permit, please contact the Township office.

Stormwater Management
Q: The stormwater inlet infront of my home is covered with debris, what should I do?

A: The majority of debris that covers stormwater inlets is generated by leaves and grass clippings from residential yards.  Please consider doing your part for the community by clearing the obstruction as part of routine property maintenance.

Utility Billing
Q: When are utility bills mailed?

A: Utilities (Trash and Sewer) are mailed quarterly in January, April, July and October and are due the 15th of the second month of the quarter (February 15th, May 15th, August 15th and November 15th).

Q: I sold my property, what should I do with the utility bill?

A: Because we do not always get notification of property transfers before the utility bills are mailed, we may not have the new owner’s name or mailing address. Please return the bill to the Township Office stating that you no longer own the property and include the new owner’s name, if you know it.

Q: Are water and sewer provided by Westtown Township?

A: The Township provides public sewer in some areas. Contact the Township for more information. Aqua provides water service to all areas which are not served by onsite wells.

Q: What happens if my utility bill payment is late?

A: If paid after the 15th day of the second month of the calendar quarter for which the service is billed, a 5% penalty will be added to the face amount of the bill.

Q: What happens if I do not pay my utility bill?

A: If utility bills become two quarters past due, the account will be turned over to our solicitor, Portnoff Law Associates, for collection. This will result in additional legal fees and penalties with the potential of a lien on the property.

Q: Does my mortgage company escrow for the utility bills?

A: Most mortgage companies do not pay utility bills from your escrow account. This is a utility, not a tax.

Q: My name and/or mailing address have changed and I did not get a bill. What should I do?

A: It is the responsibility of the property owner to notify the Township office of any changes, and request a duplicate bill be sent to the new address. Failure to receive a bill does not forgive your utility account.  Bills are mailed to the last known address for each property.

Q: The property I own is a rental property. Can I have the utility bills sent to the renters?

A: Notify the Township in writing that you wish to have the bills mailed directly to the renters. The property owner of record is still responsible for payment, even if the renter defaults.

Q: Do I need a permit to install a fence?

A: All new or replacement fencing that is greater than 40 feet in length requires a Building Permit.  

Q: Do I need a permit to install a shed?

A: All sheds require a Building Permit.  Sheds fewer than 250 square feet in area require only a zoning review.  Sheds greater than 250 square feet require a building inspection.  

Q: Can I temporarily place a dumpster on the street or within the right-of way?

A: All dumpsters utilized privately by residents for any purpose cannot be located within any public street or right-of-way.

Q: What are the noise restrictions in the Township?

A: Noise in the Township is regulated under §170-1515 of the Township Zoning Ordinance. Noise standards apply to specified uses and properties within the Township, between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., plus all day Sunday and legal holidays. Development agreements associated with approved land development projects may place further restrictions on noise impacts.

Westtown Township Email Updates and Alerts

Fill out the form below to sign up for email updates and alerts. If you already receive listserv emails from the township, then there is no need to complete this form.

* indicates required
I would like to receive alerts about:

Email Updates and Alerts

Fill out the form below to subscribe to the Township email listserv. You will receive Township meeting information, trash reminders, and other important Township communications. We do not share the email list with anyone. If you already receive listserv emails from the Township, then there is no need to complete this form.

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Your Phone

Report a Concern

Please complete the form below to report your concern. Someone will contact you soon. If you are reporting a concern about a road, please note that issues on state-owned and maintained roads in the Township (Routes 3, 352, 926, and 202, Westtown Road, Westbourne Road, S. Concord Road from Oakbourne to Westbourne, and Oakbourne Road from 202 to S. Concord) need to be reported to PennDOT Customer Care. Westtown Township has no jurisdiction on state roads.

Your Name (required)

Your Phone (required)

Your Email (required)

Category (required)

Your Concern

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Your Message